Wednesday, May 30, 2007

To Allegany!

I set off tomorrow with several friends to Allegany State Park, Western New York's best patch of nature, and NY's largest state park. I have always loved the place, but have not been there in several years, so I'm very excited. We picked this weekend because it is the weekend of the Allegany Nature Pilgrimage. The Pilgrimage is a joint effort of several Audubon Society's, including my 'alma mater' Buffalo Audubon, that offers a multitude of nature walks, talks, and more, on birds, herps, mammals, ferns, wildflowers, old growth forest, insects, and a whole lot more. It is a real whirlwind of activity. I was involved in Pilgrimage efforts for several years in high school and have several good friends still involved with it. This should be a great time. If you're in the area, check this out, it is Friday-Sunday.

My friends and I won't necessarily be participating in many of the Pilgrimage's events, however, instead striking our own path and doing a lot of herping and birding. The Allegany region is a great spot that brings a lot of southern specialties, from birds to herps to plants and fish, into NY that aren't found elsewhere in the state. In particular, we hope to find such cool herps as Wehrle's Salamander, Shorthead Garter, Hellbender, and Long-tailed Salamander. Be sure to look for the results posted here next week (as long as my camera battery lasts).

1 comment:

  1. Hope to bump into you at the ANP and sure hope you have a good time finding your critters! Good luck and can't wait to see what you end up finding!

    ReplyDelete