Friday, November 23, 2007

Oct 2007 Auk: Interesting Papers

I just received my October 2007 edition of The Auk, so I will be posting summaries and thoughts on the papers that most interested me. These include: novel uses of isotope analysis, courtship displays, a really cool method of feeding by shorebirds, a fossil, a phylogeny, and a hybrid zone analysis. Stay tuned, this will be fun.

Update: This issue of the Auk is now available from BioOne.


A genotyping assay to determine plumage morph in the White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis).


A tody (Alcediniformes: Todidae) from the early Oligocene of Germany.

Cooperative display and lekking behavior of the Lance-tailed Manakin (Chiroxiphia lanceolata).


Small-prey profitability: field analyses of shorebirds’ use of surface tension of water to transport prey.

Stable-isotope (C, N, H) analyses help locate the winter range of the Coastal Plain Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana nigrescens).

2 comments:

  1. I got mine in the mail today also but have not checked it out yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I just realized I don't have a scanner right now and the pdf's arent online yet, so I'll have to wait a few days before I post the rest of my favorite articles, so I can include figures. That'll give you time to check it out :)

    ~ Nick

    ReplyDelete