Thursday, October 18, 2007

Herp Lab

Today in Field Biology Lab, I put on quite a presentation to supplement the student's learning of NY herps from specimens. I brought a collection of some wild herps I collected the evening before (since returned unharmed to their original location) as well as captive native and nonnative herps from my friend's collections. Then I put together a slideshow of as many NY herps as I had pictures of. I think they very much enjoyed seeing living herps and colorful pictures rather than colorless dead things in jars (not to say I'm dissing specimens!).

The wild stuff I caught in an hour's searching included:
- 1 Milk Snake
- 1 Brown Snake
- 3 Two-lined Salamanders
- 15 Red-backed Salamanders
- 2 Spotted Salamanders

Quite good for this late in the season!

Brown Snake, Storeria dekayi

Milk Snake, Lampropeltis triangulum


Salamanders

Black Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta)



Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina)

Western Hognose (Heterodon nasicus)

Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis)

African Bullfrog (Pyxie) - Pyxiecephalus adspersus


Crested Geckos (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)


Gargoyle Gecko (Rhacodactylus auriculatus)

Eastern Spiny Softshell (Apalone spinifera)

Frogs

Dead things in jars!


A good time

No comments:

Post a Comment