Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Come see me talk - BOS meeting

I'm heading home tomorrow to give a talk for the Buffalo Ornithological Society on my research projects. If you're in the Buffalo area, consider stopping in. I'll be giving an hour talk, broken into my two main projects:

"Function of the Primary Hooklets in Northern Rough-winged Swallows" and
"Phylogeography and Island Speciation in Hispaniolan Palm-Tanagers."

Wednesday, May 14
7:00 PM in the Cummings Room of the Buffalo Museum of Science.

I hope to see you there.

3 comments:

  1. Wait, wait... the swallows.... are the primary hooklets similar to those on Monk Parakeets? Maybe I stumbled into this topic too soon, but it'd be awesome if you filled us in, you know, since some of us are about 1,500 miles too far to make it to the meeting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monk Parakeets have primary hooklets? I'll have to look that one up.

    I haven't posted on my Rough-winged research before, but I may soon enough. Basically, the males have these recurved hooklets on the leading primaries, the function of which is unknown. I'm getting the birds to nest in artificial burrows, so I can film the behaviors inside the burrow and see what they use the hooklets for.

    Cheers,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry if I'm a little vague there... I've been hesitating on how much I want to post here, at least until I'm ready to publish. I have very little data yet anyways.

    For my phylogeography project, I've posted on that here:
    http://slybird.blogspot.com/2007/12/in-lab-1-island-speciation.html

    Cheers,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete